for the "rug" under the table, i bought a large sheet of linoleum from lowe's. they usually have them pre-cut in a bin in the back. i used kitchen scissors to cut out a square, then used a pencil to draw a pattern on the backside. i used one of my old kilim rugs for inspiration. i painted in the lines with craft paint, then gave it several coats of polyurethane. it's a great splat mat for crafts, food and drink. i've made smaller versions for table top splat mats and larger versions for outdoor patios. they also work well under highchairs and dog bowls. they can be wiped clean with windex and paper towels. here's what you'll need if you want to take on a similar project:
- paint (duh) - smaller projects can be completed with mere acrylic craft paint and the color choices are endless!
- several sizes of paint brushes - small for the details and large for the sealer
- bottle of liquid sander, clean rags & surgical gloves (this stuff is toxic!)
- can of crackle - if you want a little added texture
- sanding block for the edges - if you want it a bit antiqued ...it sure hides the wear and tear!
- can of stain (i recommend water based)
- semi - gloss polyurethane
- large sheet of linoleum
- a little extra time....